Recently, GS Mains topper, Anuj Malik visited Chanakya IAS Academy to interact with students and to discuss the strategy to write best possible answers in stipulated time in Civil Services Mains exam. While discussing answer writing skills, Anuj Malik stated the best example by showing an answer written by her on a question asked in Civil Services Mains 2016.
Given below the question and the answer written by Anuj Malik in Civil Services Mains 2016
Ques: “Discuss the role of women in the freedom especially during the Gandhian phase”.
Answer by Anuj Malik
The Indian Struggle for independence saw the participation of all the section of society, especially the women. The role of women can be summarized in following ways:
- During the revolt of 1857, Rani Laxmi Bai and Begum Hazrat were active leaders from Jhansi and Lucknow respectively. They gave a tough competition to the British forces.
- During the moderate phase of freedom struggle, women were active members of the Indian National Congress.
During the Swadeshi movement, women actively participated in boycotts. Kadmini Ganguly addressed the INC during the 1890s.
- Women also participated in revolutionary activities both from India and abroad. For eg. The revolt by Suraya Sen in Chittagong saw immense participation of women, for eg. Bina Das..
Bhikaji Cama founded Paris India society.
- Mahatma Gandhi believed that masses should first be ready for mass struggle but Bose believed that masses get ready during the course of mass movement.
- Bose was ready to adopt violent means to attain independence. For this purpose, he formed the Azad Hind Fauj. On the other hand, Mahatma Gandhi believed in non-violent mass struggle.
Their differences were further exaggerated during Second World War:-
- Gandhi advocated immense support to allied powers but Bose refused to give any support as he thought the war was clearly on imperialistic lines.
- Bose was open to get support from fascist forces but Gandhi Ji believed that struggle for independence should come from the masses of India.
Despite of all these differences, both admired and respected each other. Bose called Gandhi Ji as father of our nation and to engage underground radio station from Bombay.
However the women had to overcome many difficulties, i.e.,
- The Patriarchal society of India did not allow women to take part in violent political struggle.
- They had to overcome gender stereotypes and prejudices related to strength and bravery.
Approach used by Anuj Malik while writing the answer
- Introduce the answer by briefly explaining the role of women during Indian struggle for Independence
- Explain the role of women during 1857 revolt
- Mention the role of women during Swadeshi Movement
- Explain Gandhian phase and his decisions during Second World War
- Explain the difficulties faced and overcame by women during Indian Struggle
Click Here to enroll for our Test Series and get model answers by experts